The Education for Sustainable Energy Development (ESED) scholarship program inspires the next generation of innovators and thinkers to create a sustainable future.
Our scholars are exceptional students from developing countries studying in sustainable energy development. Today, the need for globally-oriented practitioners and researchers is growing rapidly.
Our one-of-a-kind scholarship program fosters the next generation of energy, climate, and electricity sector specialists who will be prepared to tackle the challenges of the future.
- Host: Education for Sustainable Energy Development (ESED)
- Category: Postgraduate Scholarships | Masters Scholarships
- Eligible Countries: All Countries
- Reward: Up to $21,000 USD
- Deadline: March 8, 2021 at 23:59 EST.
Focusing on geographical as well as gender diversity, GSEP has awarded 135 scholarships since the inception of the program in 2001.
The scholarship is tenable at any university. GSEP encourages the application of students pursuing studies in universities of the global South
To be eligible for this scholarship, prospective applicants must:
- Undertake master’s-level studies in the fields of zero-carbon energy, smart grids, electric transportation, energy storage, advanced electricity technologies, public policy, economics, law, political science, or other relevant fields
- Eligible applicants must be pursuing full-time studies for at least one full school year (two or three semesters), beginning in autumn 2021. Students in the second year of a two-year program are eligible to apply, provided that they meet this requirement.
- Be a citizen of a developing country/territory on the List of official development aid recipients identified by the Development Co-operation Directorate (DAC) of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)
- Be committed to contribute to their home country’s development after their studies
- Be an outstanding student:
- Graduates with excellent grades in the top 20% of their class
- Is committed to zero-carbon energy development
- Has a history of community involvement
- Is determined to advance their knowledge and understanding
With the aim of supporting developing countries in building local expertise, GSEP will allocate a share of its scholarships to students pursuing master’s studies in universities based in developing countries.
The academic panel ensures that the yearly selection respects geographical and gender diversity.
Interested Applicants that are yet to receive their admission letter can also apply by are indicating on the application form that they have not received an admission letter from your university.
You can upload an acknowledgement of receipt from your university showing that you have applied for admission. You must still submit your online application by March 8, 2021.
Once you receive your official admission letter for your specified program, it is your responsibility to forward it via email to firstname.lastname@example.org before April 18, 2021. If we do not receive your official admission letter by this date, your application will not be considered.
- Admission Letter
- Reference Letter
You need to provide two references. Both references must be in English. Please make sure that your full name is included on all references.
- One reference must ABSOLUTELY be from a faculty member or professor at your current or previous university who knows your academic abilities. They must complete the Academic Reference Form.
- The second reference must be a reference letter. The reference needs to be in letterform (with an official letterhead of the referee’s organization, if possible), written in English, and must be dated and signed by the referee. It may be written by either an academic or personal referee.
- An academic referee must be a faculty member or professor at your current or previous university who knows your academic abilities. They cannot be the same person as the individual who completes your Academic Reference Form.
- A personal referee should be a person (e.g. employer, supervisor, mentor, coach) who can discuss other personal qualities or interests that make you specially qualified to receive the scholarship. This referee cannot be a family member.
Method of Application
An independent Academic Panel consisting of accomplished representatives of notable academic institutions will review the applications and select the winners.
Interested applicant should apply using the link below. Make sure you have all the required information and documents on hand to complete your application.